Friday 28 March 2014

The Office (Basotho style)


Week 4

Back to office life this week, planning, meetings, making arrangements, writing reports, re-writing reports, rearranging meetings etc etc. A new breed of flexibility has been added to my list of skills this time around. Monday afternoon saw me close my workshop officially with a planning meeting....I attempted to use De Bono's 

"Basotho" Thinking Hats to elicit problem solving regarding how this new curriculum affects the college.....I'm not sure if it worked as the group discussions were in Sesotho...but we did come up with a very viable set of plans for the following year....a lot of work for me to do in a very short time!

I had a very successful meeting with the Head of Special Educational Needs, Mrs Phela...very keen to collaborate with our Literacy Project and lead the sharing of good practice in Maseru. My meeting with the Dean of the Faculty of Education went just as well, the harbinger of many changes to come in the curriculum at LCE but keen and happy to help lead workshops regionally for student teachers out in the field! Multiple meetings with the Director of Academic Planning, Research and Consultancy booked me in for 2 more weeks of workshops so all staff are trained to the same level. Feedback has been excellent and all staff want to take part, which is bigger than I originally planned....they are taking me very seriously! No pressure! 

Lots more planning took place in lieu of these plans....streamlined and improved version of last week for the Thaba Tseka LCE campus, and my first Support workshop on The practical application of Assessment for Learining. Applying theory to the practicalities of teaching potentially 150 students in a simple, fresh and approachable way did prove challenging! 


Only 12 lecturers came to the support workshop, but it went extremely well as we all worked collaboratively to understand afl strategies, techniques and potential approaches to Grade 4. What we did discover though was a large can of worms - are we really able to sell AfL to the lecturers? They have to use it's methods for their students to experiment in school!

No comments:

Post a Comment