Friday 4 April 2014

Workshops -the third round....

Week 6

The last set of lecturers were "crying" for their workshop on the Integrated Curriculum, so we squeezed in another round of 3 days, but on the LCE site in Maseru instead of at Emmanuael Hostel. Fully prepared and ready to go on day 1 I was faced with my most difficult audience yet... My usual (?) Welsh charm and quirkiness was met with blank stares and antipathy! Complaints that my visual aids were too small and their ability to take on new information was defensive to say the least! It didn't help that my colleagues from NCDC didn't turn up either! By the end of the day it was "slightly" better and a lovely note of thanks from one lecturer didn't make me want too run away, but flat and despondent was my mood!


Day 2 started even worse as all lecturers were involved in a demonstration outside the administration building for 2 hours! Luckily one of them did have the courtesy to come and tell me. NCDC colleagues did come after break and the mood was lightened by a very humble and honest presentation by the Deputy Director (even though he answered his phone during Q and A). A very simple presentation of the syllabus confirmed all I had shared the previous day so lecturers were happier.




So much happier they showered thanks and praise on their colleagues for attending and making it all clear for them. I couldn't help but feel very isolated at that point as my all singing all dancing active teaching and learning seemed not needed or appreciated! The afternoon wa slow but better in mood for sure, even though I was struggling with my own sense of understanding and worth!

Day 3 started only 15 minutes late...progress! Continuing with Planning activities was focused and more enthusiastic. Lovely ECOL lady was received well as usual, however talking to the backs of heads is not my presentation style of choice! 



We finally got through all aspects of Planning by the end of the day and I received some surprisingly complimentary evaluations which made my anxiety lessen somewhat.....well a lot! 



No comments:

Post a Comment