Tuesday 4 March 2014

International Learning Opportunities - 8 week placement....Maseru, Lesotho


Week 1

         And so I land once again at Moshoeshoe Airport, gently strolling to the tiny airport from the small South African airways plane with the sun shining and a soft breeze welcoming me home! Two months has literally flown by and as soon as I am on the main road heading to the city I settle into my seat and think about my new role at the Lesotho College of Education (LCE).




My first visit on Friday 21st February (well, technically my second) saw me rushed off for a meeting with the Director of the National Curriculum Centre (NCDC), ushered speedily (surprisingly) by my new boss, Dr Khati, the Assistant Director of Academic Affairs. A provisional agreement was made immediately to provide training for LCE in March, which would make my job here so much more purposeful. The lead body on the New Primary School Curriculum providing training for the countries only teacher training institution in my presence and with my technical assistance…would be a great start.

I settled into my new house on the weekend, a large two-storey house (not common) in the staff village for the college. A huge space circa 1965, with a lovely view of huge gum trees from the small balcony area, huge kitchen, hot water geyser, comfy double bed and an almighty, overwhelming smell of damp!! Oh well, you can’t have it all eh!!

Morning yoga, short walk to the office at 8am, 1pm lunch at home and plentiful stares from the student teachers, local school students, workmen and generally anyone passing at all points!! I’m used to it now, as my freckly skin gets thicker and thicker BUT working in an office on my own is not something I’ve experienced before! Ironically that is going to be my biggest challenge, not the numerous visits to immigration as my Volunteer permit identification was not on A4 paper!! It finally got sorted and I started to find my feet by Tuesday as I met my “working party” of Faculty Dean’s and lecturers, wrote my plans, researched my materials, rewrote my plans, shared my plans, rewrote them again AND finally spent the morning trying to finalise training at NCDC…..I need to keep my fingers crossed that the Director sticks to his word, even though he is about to go on annual leave!
The end of the week was devoted to a little road trip in a clunky truck to Quthing; hundreds of donated books from the UK charity School Aid needed to get 3 hours South of Maseru. Luckily all sweaty hands were on deck and the seemingly endless boxes of books got onto a truck and got off a truck, nearly in the right place. The hired truck spluttered and stopped just at the top of the hill near our destination, the Education Office in Quthing, a very helpful “bakkie” driver and the lovely team of Welsh teachers on the Lesotho Teacher Placement Programme helped out. Rea leboha luna!!



An early start on Friday the 28th February saw our link and placement schools celebrate St. David’s Day – Basotho Style. Thousands of learners, beaming sun and smiles, lots of Welsh and Basotho flags, singing and sweating on their Upper Moyeni parade. We had an Eisteddfod afterward back at Moyeni Primary School with all schools participating, singing dancing, reciting and acting in English, Welsh and Sesotho. Seven weeks in and all learners and teachers seem very happy and educated by our Welsh presence……..#allworthit



No comments:

Post a Comment